9. Best time you ever had in a natural (i.e. outside an urban area) setting?
HMMM. This is a hard one to pick; I have places that I’ve spent so much time in that they’re no longer a matter of single instances, but of an accumulation of memories that give them meaning. So much so that the place itself takes on the cast of the time: instead of saying “I remember this thing” I can only say “I remember the dock and the colour of the sky”—and that gets mixed up with other docks and other skies. The more a place means to me the less able I am to pin down why: so I could wax rhapsodic about the striated rock that makes up the great lakes region, which would mean a great deal to me and nothing to anyone else.
That was such a weird non-answer, sorry. Too many feelings about places.
16. Who and what do you love?
My family, especially the one I’ve made (am making) for myself; stories that move me and the very fact that I can be moved in such a way; writing about difficult and complex things; my future discipline, which is about change, difficulty and compassion both for me personally and for the world. I love people and things who challenge and excite me, who push me to be smarter and kinder and better. I love talking and thinking about complex ideas and complex feelings and how sometimes they’re the same. I love people and thoughts and feelings and stories and the possibility of better things in this world. That’s what.
17. Ten small things that make you ecstatic.
1. Bedtime snuggles with M. God that is super gross and mushy, I apologize. But it’s true.
2. The moment in thinking through a complex argument or writing a paper where you’ve been struggling and beating your head against a wall and then you have an epiphany and BAM, nailed it.
3. Cool wind + sunshine, especially if it’s off water and particularly on rough and rocky beaches with that northern ontario aesthetic.
4. A really good ending to a really good narrative.
5. Long distance best friendship texts and skypeversations
6. Eating really delicious food, especially if someone prepared it for me.
7. Lazy sunday mornings making pancakes (I make excellent pancakes)
8. Wearing an awesome outfit down the street and working the hell out of it.
9. Travelling and finding the little moments in places that set them in your mind.
10. Conversations with people where something clicks and everything flows really easily and you feel like you know them better than you did before, even if you’ve known them for years
KORRA. This is apparently now a weekly thing, sorry. I just have a lot of feelings about cartoons.